Tuesday, February 05, 2013

My experience of the Tridentine Mass.

Two days ago I attended a Tridentine Mass at a Church here in Manila under the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX). The SSPX is a fraternity of priests who oppose the spirit of Vatican II and the reforms inspired by it. Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, the founder, and the four priests from the Society were excommunicated when the former ordained the later bishops without Pontifical mandate as required by Church Laws in 1988.

This is not the first time I am attending a Mass in Latin, for I already have had experiences attending Mass of the 'extraordinary form of the Roman Rite' , the liturgy of the 1962 Roman Missal, widely referred to as the Tridentine Mass. Ok, enough of details, you can read it more when u click on the 'blue' words above. Oh by the way for the record I DID ATTEND Mass of the Roman Rite at a Catholic church after the Tridentine Mass experience.  

Now my experience, it was indeed interesting and a graceful, dignified Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in its own way. I am not saying that the present liturgy is not, it all depends on the priest who presides, the ministers of the altar who helps and the people who participates. I really like the grandeur of the sanctuary, the 'simple' but yet beautifully decorated 'baraque altar' was just lovely to see. It was delightful to see too that most faithful were dressed in their Sunday's best especially the little children. The ladies had nice lace to cover their heads. Another thing that I like at the Mass was the singing of the 'Mass Parts' by the Presider.

What that I was not comfortable with was the language used. It was in Latin. I do not understand Latin..Hhhmmmm not true!! I do understand maybe about 0.03% Latin, for I do pray the Pater Noster and Salve Regina from time to time and sing some Latin songs like O Sanctissima, Regina Coeli and Requiem. So here again, I do not understand Latin for about 99.07%. The responses of the people was bad too. Anyway, the people had very little role to play at this Tridentine mass and less responses to say. I am hoping that at least there had been some explanations and Catechesis for the regulars so that they would know what was being prayed by the priest. If you have attended a Tridentine Mass, you would know that all the 'actions' on the altar is blocked by the priest and you will only see his back most times and some prayers are said inaudibly bringing in the sense of mystery, but I think more like a 'secret'! And this can be the reason why people used to say their own prayers during the mass for they could not see what's happening, could not understand what's going on and not participating much at the Mass. I did see a man reading the bulletin while the Mass was going on.

I am sure not many people now remember the Tridentine Mass and I have always wondered why some youngsters nowadays have such a craze for the Tridentine Mass. Most of this youngsters that I have encountered who have such interest are learned and are graduates from the Universities. I guess it all boils down to the 'mystery'. Mysterium tremendum et fascinans!! (Ohh here I go again to show off a little Latin that I know!! hehehe). The altar servers from the Tridentine Mass that I witness was very human with human actions unlike the many youngsters that I know who are faithful Catholics but have interest in the Tridentine Mass and when they serve the Mass, they are transformed into a 'Mechanical Robot' that causes distraction on the Sanctuary. Too much exaggeration and drama!! I guess they have not seen a true Tridentine Mass yet where the Altar Servers are professional in their service with no 'dramas'.

All the more now after my experience at the Tridentine Mass, I am grateful for the liturgical reforms that took place with Vatican II. I understand the liturgy in my own language that I am comfortable with and I am able to participate in the celebration. I hope you had noticed that I did not use the term 'celebration' when I was describing the Tridentine Mass experience until now when I refer to the Mass after Vatican II. I am convinced that in a celebration, everyone gathers and participate in one way or another and we find such element in the Mass of the Vatican II. I am also grateful that because of Vatican II the laity now has significant role too just like the priests who presides over the celebrations.

After reading this post I am sure you are aware that I am in favor of the liturgical reforms of Vatican II and if I'm given an opportunity to celebrate the Tridentine Mass I will surely decline unless the Bishop has directed me to do it. I hope the church would not go back to 'celebrate' Mass of the past.