Saturday, February 23, 2013

Congratulations to Most Rev Coadjutor Archbishop William Goh.

Congratulations to Most Rev Coadjutor Archbishop William Goh Seng Chye who was consecrated Coadjuctor Archbishop of Singapore yesterday. Coadjuctor Archbishop Goh will become Archbishop of Singapore when Archbishop Nicholas Chia retires. Though we had some differences when I was a seminarian at the St. Francis Xavier Major Seminary, Singapore and he was then the rector, I believe and confident that he is the best choice for the present era of the Church in Singapore. I give a perfect score for his prayer life. He inspires many and is also a forward looking person. 

I was inspired to write this post especially after reflecting on the Gospel for today (Matthew 5:43-48). If you have been following my blog, you would know that I am on a journey to be a Catholic Priest and am currently in my priestly formation. Yes I want to be a child of the Heavenly Father and as the gospel today advices that to be a child of the Father, I must "love (my) enemies and pray for those who persecute (me)". I was not surprised to hear the news from Vatican sometime in late December that Fr. William Goh has been appointed as Coadjutor Archbishop of Singapore but it was very difficult for me to pray for him, especially when this particular intention comes to my mind while in prayer due to our past confrontations and issues. But eventually when I started praying for him as he prepares for the day when he is to be consecrated, I felt better and at peace. I have had let go of a bitter past. Though I had moved on from the past before this, now I feel I'm moving on further to be closer to the Father who invites me to be holy and perfect just as He is, through His Son Jesus who actually practiced what He preached when He himself prayed for His persecutors on the cross.  

I continue to pray that the he may be a shepherd like Jesus, the Good Shepherd.

"Awake now, lion stand and roar, the Pilgrim Church of Singapore...Pie pellicane, Heart on fire, May your glory I desire;..."Ut vivant!" O Lord that they may live" 
- Most Rev Coadjutor Archbishop William Goh