Friday, September 05, 2008

Are you smarter than a 4th grader?

Today I started my 'classroom visitation' at a catholic school run by the church. I visited the year 4 (10-year-old). I was there to share about who I am, the country I am from, seminary life, what I am doing in Australia at the moment and to answer any questions they might have. I was told by the teacher that the children will sure have many questions, and I thought the questions were going to be simple since they are only 10-year-old. But to my surprise they asked question like; Will you get married? Why priest do not get married? Why do you want to be a priest in the 1st place? What is in the black box that the Muslims walk around it?, etc.

In all truth, I tell you that I have underestimated them. When I was told that there will be questions time, I thought the children will be asking questions on the bible and creation, since they were doing the topic on Creation.

But look at some of the questions they raised! When a boy asked whether I'm going to get married, they were some unrest among the students towards this boy for asking such question and it seems that they knew the answer. One girl just bluntly said "Hey, priest do not get married!" and from this it lead to another question asking why priest do not get married. Before i gave the answer, I opened it to the floor asking if any of them would like to answer. And here again, they gave matured answer such as; "Priests wants to devote themselves to the service of God and not be divided by looking after wife and children", "Its a sacrifice, a self-giving" Phew...i didn't have to answer further!

Hey...10-year-olds can think like this already ah? Can they start asking questions and give such answer? What is going on in their mind? Hmmm. Why can't I find such 10-year-olds in Malaysia or Singapore?...Oh maybe it is my ignorance that i do not know that 10-year-olds have such reasoning! I think...its my ignorance! My bad! Hmmm I should have paid more attention to my nephews and nieces when they were talking and to see what they were thinking! Hehehe.

Some of the 10-year-olds (Year 4 - 2008) from St. Pius X School, Unanderra.

I'm looking forward to next week's visit, I'm sure its going to be interesting and challenging enough, because I'll be visiting the 11 and 12-year-olds. Hmmm wonder what questions they are going to ask! And in the afternoon, a visit too to the 9-year-olds who just receive the Holy Communion for the 1st time. I'm sure to benefit from this visits for it gives me a rough idea on what the children in their respective age know about the Catholic faith and the churches teachings.

"I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children"(Mt.11:25).