Friday, September 07, 2007

Reflection on Daily Reading- 22nd Ord. Time, Year 1: Friday

Colossians 1:15-20
Luke 5:33-39


3 points I gather from today's readings:-

In the the Gospel I see comparisons is being made. The Pharisees and scribes compares the actions and practices between John's disciples with the disciples of Jesus. In reply to them Jesus too makes comparison with the presence of the bridegroom and the absence of the bridegroom. He also make comparison with new cloak and old cloak. And he ends with another comparison between new wine and old wine. The comparison Jesus made at this text has exegetical and theological meanings which I am not considering in my reflection but looking just on the act of making comparisions! Sometimes it is good to make comparisons. We all do it. We make comparisons of the past incidents with the present situations. We make comparison with people. We even make comparison on our own selves, i.e. how I we were before and now how I am. (Eppadi Irunden Naa Ippudi aaiten - one of Vivek's statement in a comedy clip, this will be familiar to those tamil speaking). Sometimes it is good to make comparison, it is like a check-list. But it can be damaging too, some people like to dwell in the past and at times we think they are still living there. Through the gospel text I am being thought of the virtue of prudence. Yes, i have to be prudent; like Jesus, to make a comparison when there is a need, when its appropriate.

  • My second reflection is from the first line of the 1st reading; "Christ Jesus is the image of the unseen God". Like Christ who is the image of the Father, am i also an image of God? Do people see Christ in me? Looking at my life and even after making 'comparison' of my life with the past, i still feel i have failed to show the image of God to others. This is an important aspect of a priest, he is called to be 'alter Christus' - other Christ. Through the grace of Ordination, a priest acts "In Persona Christi Capitis" (in the Person of Christ the Head) so all the more he should 'shine' Jesus in my life. By the grace of Baptism, each Catholic is an 'alter Christus' so each of us Catholics have the same responsibility to be the other Christ.
  • The third reflection for today is from the hymn (1st reading text), the word 'all' is used many times. It reminds me of mission 'ad gentes' - to all people. Christ is for all, I am asked to bring Christ to 'all people', 'to all nations'