Thursday, February 01, 2007

The LORD PROVIDES




Reflection on the Readings of Thursday Week 4 in Ord. Time Year I.
(Heb 12:18-19. 21-24 / Mark 6:7-13)


Once again we have the text of the sending out, but this time it is the sending out of the twelve apostles ("sent out"). The uniqueness in the Gospel of Mark is that he brings out the theme of discipleship very clearly.

Reflecting on this text, i see the theme of dependence. Jesus is sending his apostles on a mission and he gives them authority over unclean spirits. He also give them not one but many instructions and conditions...don't take this...don't take that..... . At the end of the text we read the apostles "...set off to preach...cast out many devils...anointed many sick...cured them". And on Saturday, we will read the continuation of the text with the apostles coming back from their mission all tired and excited wanting to tell Jesus all that had happen.

Now wait a minute....excited??? In today's text we hear of them setting off to mission!!!! Crazy fellows!!! Wei Apostles, there was a catch in your sending out lah...you forgot ah that Jesus gave you some condition...TAKE NOTHING!!! for the journey except a staff (walking stick...to chase some snakes i think) no bread, no haversack, no coppers, no...no...
And you guys just go off ah...power crazy!!! Just because He gave you authority you guys go ah???

Dear friends, the apostles are not power crazy or are not aware of the conditions. I believe it is through their experience staying with Jesus, that they have trusted in God that GOD WILL PROVIDE. Don't you think so? Since all the more they are doing His will (mission) He will provide for them.
Already being with Jesus they have learn that Jesus depended on the Father. Jesus had already shown them the generosity of God. In today's gospel acclamation, it states; "I call you friends, says the Lord, because I have made known to you everything I have learnt from my Father" (Jn15:15). Jesus is our brother, our friend. He has set an example of trusting the Father. The apostles have learnt it that is why they came back all excited with mission stories to tell. God has provided for their needs. Jesus has shown us the Father and through Him (mediator) we are 'first-born son' (children of God) and 'citizen of heaven' as written in today's 1st reading from Hebrews. The text also gives an impression that we do not have to approach God with trembling fear but with joy, love and trust.

I would like to end my reflection with a testimony of experiencing God's providence:-
In December 1999, i read at the herald about the (WYD) World Youth Day 2000 in Rome. And those Malaysians who were interested are to register by the end of January 2000 with the Youth Office in my diocese. I was interested to go, but have no money because, even though I was working with a 3 digit salary figure i had to pay for the part time diploma course i was taking and my room rent since i was staying at the city by myself. I had too pay for other expenses and also give some contribution to my family expenses.
A friend happen to call me and he told me that he was interested and going to register. I told him my difficulties. At the end of our conversation, he told me that "If God wants you to be there for the WYD, don't worry, just trust in Him and He will provide." I took claim of those words of my friends and I prayed; "God if you want me there, you do the necessary. "

Just two weeks before the closing date of the registration, my elder sister came to see me after reading in the herald about it and the closing date. She gave me the down payment and asked me to go register. I took it not knowing where i was going to get the rest of the money for the full payment and also to renew my passport. I just went to register and i was told they wanted a xerox copy of my passport. Oops not yet renew lah!! Ok, got another two weeks, God will provide. And He did. In fact He also provided for the next few payments through my bonus and my mother, friends and some savings of here and there.

Now it came to the last payment, and i was short with some money. The date was near but i was not tensed, maybe because with the experience that i started with nothing and now i have already paid two earlier payments and the passport, God will provide. One night my aunt came to visit us and as she was leaving, she gave me an ang pow. It wasn't my birthday or Christmas either. When i asked her why the ang pow, she said that she prayed that if she strike number, she will give me some money since i was going for the WYD. She striked and she put in an ang pow packet and gave it to me. I was reluctant to take because i know she needed it more since she has some financial difficulties. But she insisted. So i took it. I opened it after she left and to my surprise it was the sum that i needed for the payment. It was a big sum. Now i thought she gave me the wrong ang pow packet, so i called her. "Aunt, are you sure? Do you know the amount you gave...it is alot. are you sure?" "Yes i know how much i gave you, i am sure, just take it" she answered.

Now, i have paid up all the sum for the trip and was ready to go. The Youth Office has made the arrangements for our lodging and food while our stay there. So i brought along some pocket money , just enough. Can't enjoy much or buy things or go visit other places in Rome. On the the day we were scheduled to leave, i went for the daily morning mass. My parish priest at that time the Late Rev. Fr. Benedict S., invited me to the foot of the altar for a special blessing. At the end of the blessing he whispered to my ear to come by his office after Mass. So after Mass i went to his office not expecting any money because in the beginning, the parish has already made known that they would not sponsor anyone for the WYD and those intend to go they have to get their own resources. So i went there, thinking he might want me to buy something from Rome or give me some advise on the trip. But to my surprise, he gave me an envelope with some money in it asking me to use it. And that money was a great help when i was there. I was able to brings back some souvenirs for my friends and especially those who have helped me.

In the airport, i met my friend who had advised me to trust the Lord. I gave him a hug and told him" Yes, God wants me there for the WYD and He has provided". The trip was a beautiful experience.

Since this experience of divine providence, i seem to have trusted the Lord more especially in terms with money or material. And He has provided. It is now 7 years I am in the seminary and i do not get paid, i just receive some allowance (no need to tell the figure lah ah, its 2 digit this time). I never had any financial problem. Money comes...money goes. When i need it...somehow God seems to provide, through my parish when on holidays, pastoral parishes, some kind benefactors and friends. Strangely all this happen when i am in need. If i don't get, then i know it is not God's will that i should get it. I will not get angry with him, He knows what is best for me.

Hey friends, if God made it possible for me to go to Rome out of nothing, sure He will provide.I don't ask my family for money and at times when i have extra i give it to my mum for the family expenses. I always feel if i can contribute, i should do it. It also helps me to be generous. I see that the more i give, the more i receive. That is why i think my pocket never dries. hehehe.

So my friends, let us...Trust in the Lord with all your heart. God will provide.

This reminds me of a song by Sebastian Temple; LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF THE LORD.
Sing with me;


Leave it in the hands of the Lord (x2)

Chorus
Do not worry over what to eat,

What to wear or put upon your feet,
Trust and pray, go do your best today,

Then leave it in the hands of the Lord.
Then leave it in the hands of the Lord.

Verse
The lilies of the field,
They do not spin nor weave,
Yet Solomon was not arrayed like one of these.

The birds of the air,
They do not sow or reap,
But God tends to them,
Like a shepherd tends his sheep.

The Lord will guide you in his hidden way,
Show you what to do

And tell you what to say.
When you pray for rain,
Go, build a dam to store;
Ev'ry drop of water
You have asked him for.

The Lord knows all your needs before you ask.
Only trust in him,
For he will do the task

Of bringing in your life
Whatever you must know,
He'll lead you through the darkness
Wherever you must go.