Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Linkin Park and me....

My love for Linkin Park started instantly when I first heard their songs from their debut album Hybrid Theory. Since then, I have been following them silently until when I started using some of their songs for my youth programs and camps and sessions for students preparing for the Sacrament of Confirmation. I sort of 'christianized' if I'm allowed to say that or rather 'adapted' the songs or maybe the best term would be 'inculturated' those songs for my sessions with the youths. Of course I do explain the connection of those songs when I use them for my sessions, that is why I used the term 'christianized'.

Some of the songs that I have used are 'Numb', 'Crawling', 'What I've done' and 'Somewhere I Belong'. My beloved youths from Selayang and Desa Jaya, Kepong would remember that I once used the title of a song as the main theme of a programme.

In the year 2007 when I was in the seminary in Singapore, I tried to go for their concert although knowing that the chances of getting a ticket is far better than getting the permission from the seminary fathers. Nevertheless I took part in a contest to get free tickets for the concert by asking a dear friend from a youth group to write a short essay for me after giving him some points. Unfortunately I did not win.


Just last week, August 13, 2013, I was blessed to have had the opportunity to watch my favorite rock band performing live from a VIP Suite with butlers serving to our needs at the Mall of Asia Arena at the Philippines. I was given 4 free tickets by a friend and may God continue to bless him and his family. There were moments that I would not be able to watch them. First it was the replacement class that was suppose to be held the next morning after the concert. When it was cancelled and was free to watch, I then had no confirmation on the ticket. When I then did receive the tickets 24hrs before the concert I had to worry about the typhoon 'Labuyo' that was hitting Luzon. By God's grace after much prayer the day of the concert was fine and I was able to go watch them perform live for me. They are indeed good entertainers. I also like the graphics on the screen very much. It was nice to see Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda surprise all of us by going to the crowds, giving them Hi-Five and encouraging the crowd to sing along.  

I was so excited when the day came, even updating my Facebook status a few times in a day which I seldom do. Since I had 4 tickets, I got 3 friends to come with me. We were an International team; a Brazilian, a Filipino, a Burmese and myself a Malaysian. We were surprised and excited that we had a VIP Suite but disappointed that we could not bring our DSLR camera in. After pleading many times with an officer, she herself suggested to take some pictures and send it to us via email. Very kind of her. I enjoyed the concert to the maximum, only realizing towards the end of the concert that I was losing my voice due to the screaming and singing along loudly. It was indeed a dream come true for me to watch Linkin Park live. This is my second live concert after 'Black Eyed Peas' live in Singapore on Oct 2007.