Monday, December 03, 2012

My letter to St. Francis Xavier.

Dear St. Francis Xavier, I would like to thank you for bringing Christianity to Malaysia. And I am very blessed indeed to be actually serving now in the very state that you visited which is in my diocese of Malacca-Johore. Every year we have your Feast Day Mass at the site where your body lay for 9 months while waiting to be transferred to Goa, India with people coming in thousands from all over Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand and even from Korea, Japan and Hong Kong. Though the site has been ruined during the war, the government tried to save the site and has named it a ‘Heritage Site’. We have many tourists including local Muslims coming to visit the site every day. I believe and hope that when they read about you and the life you have witnessed, they will be inspired by your zeal for preaching Christ and would want to know more of the Christ you preached.


I have three questions for you dear Saint. You are from a very rich family; you had everything including servants to look after your needs. My first question is how were you able to leave all these luxuries and a comfortable lifestyle to follow Christ and be his missionary? In another word, what was the zeal (or turning point) for wanting to preach Christ to all peoples?

Malacca was your stop-over for the various destinations you had traveled. And during your short stay at Malacca each time you came, you had some unique experiences such as the time when you faced a fierce storm and lost your precious cross and you found it later on the shore presumable that a crab was holding on to it only to give it back to you. I believe you had also many encounters with many different people from various countries coming to Malacca to do some trading and it is there you met Yajiro (Anjigo) and became his friend and your first Japanese convert who opened the door for your mission trip to Japan. So now it seems Malacca has a special meaning for you and for the Malaysians. My second question is; do you have any particular story for the Malaccans about their pioneers of the Christian faith?

Dear Saint, the church, recognizing your works and life for Jesus Christ, canonized you a Saint in the year 1622 and made you a Patron of the Missions.  Reflecting on your life, I can come to a conclusion that you feel you do not deserve this recognition. But it is important for us here living now. Through the proclamation that you are a Saint, invites each one of us to be like you, a worker in the Lord’s vineyard, and a missionary for the Lord of the Harvest. My third question is; what is your advice to all of us who is taking up missions in the various fields in the life of the Church especially priests and seminarians in this current era?

Once again, I would like to thank you for all the sacrifices and your missionary work especially in Asia and in particular in Malacca, Malaysia. You are indeed ‘a good and faithful servant’ and I know you are ‘sharing in your master’s joy’ (Matthew 25:21). I ask you to pray for me that I too may be faithful to my calling and be a missionary like you in the Master’s vineyard.


Yours sincerely,
Adrian Francis Mathews.