Tuesday, April 17, 2012

2012 Easter Triduum Experience in Australia.

I would really like to thank Fr. Mark O' Keefe for giving me this experience to celebrate the Holy Triduum at the Parish and Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Unanderra, NSW, Australia. Definitely I would not get this chance again in the near future, maybe after I retire..hehehe.

This experience has opened my eyes and help me appreciate the local church in Malaysia. I was really shocked to see the church half full on Holy Thursday, nearly full on Good Friday and quarter full on Easter Vigil. Thank God at least on Sunday morning the church was packed at the two services. In Malaysia, the churches are all packed during the Easter Triduum services and people even stay up to midnight for the adoration of the Holy Eucharist on Holy Thursday. For pastoral reasons some churches even add extra masses to accommodate the many people wanting to participate at mass.

It is indeed sad to see those churches especially in the Europe where the churches are getting less crowded and some are even being close down. This is a good reminder and a wake up call for the churches in Asian especially for me as I look at the Malaysian church. We should not take granted of the crowds in our church. It is time that we should increase our parishioners faith life if we want our church to be continuously 'crowded' in the future. Parishioners active participation at our churches life is an importance now too.

 At this point here, I would like to thank all our parishioners who are serving voluntarily in our churches. May God continue to bless you and your family.

Me with Fr. Mark @ Burragorang Lookout.