Monday, August 23, 2010

The Call to Prayer....Lord teach us to pray (Lk 11:1-4)

At catechism class, we were discussing about the church bells and the call to prayer. One of my student told me that he was irritated with the Islamic call to prayer i.e the Azan which is uttered loud via speakers. I then shared with the class about my experiences upon hearing the Azan. This is what i shared to them:-

I stay near 2 'surau' and I work next to a mosque. So I hear the Islamic call to prayer 5 times a day. I am actually very happy with this environment. This is because, as my Muslim friends are reminded to pray, I too am reminded to pray. Each time I hear the Azan, I pray softly in my heart, be it The Angelus or The Lord's Prayer or the Hail Mary. I pray for any intention that comes to my mind at that time. Hearing the Azan always, I can say I am lucky, for it is a good reminder; an opportunity to pray.

For Catholics, we too have such reminder to pray; i.e the Angelus. Sadly most churches do not toll the bell anymore. The tolling of bells for Angelus is at 6am, noon and 6pm.
Hmmm for me then it's a good 8 reminders a day to pray i.e. 5Azan+3Angelus=8 (reminder) call to prayer...hehehe

The clip below is a solemn, melodious Azan:-




And here is the Angelus:-