Thursday, December 11, 2008

Psalm 50 (51)

Psalm 50 (51) is one of my favourite psalm. I am very happy that this psalm is said every Friday morning at Lauds. For me this psalm is like a child begging or non-stop asking (pestering) the father for something and the child will only stop when the father says yes or gives it to the child. Likewise through praying this psalm, I am the child asking God my father for His grace of forgiveness and His love.

I dare not and will not say that I am perfect for I am a sinner. By praying this psalm, I am able to feel and receive God's forgivenes, assurance of His mercy and His love.


I have identify a 'mini penintential service' in this psalm:-


a) Introduction
- a song of hope and assurance of God's forgiveness (verses 1-2) - confident that God will forgive me.

b) Confessing of one's sins /
acknowledging of sins (verse 3-6)

c) Act of Contrition
- prayer for forgiveness (verse 7-12)

d) Penance -
to bring others back to God (verse 13)

e) Thanksgiving (verses 14-17)


f) Intercession (verses 18-19)


What attracted me to this psalm is God's constant love, His great compassion and His assurance of His forgiveness (verse 1-2). That God is able to create a pure heart and able to give me a new spirit. Just like the '
drummer boy' (a Christmas song) who could only play his drum as a gift for the newborn King, I can only offer my broken spirit and my broken heart to God as a sacrifice (verse 17).