Monday, August 04, 2008

We need to 'PUSH' and 'Be PUSHed'

My childhood was full of enjoyable activities. Together with my cousin and neighbors who were around my age group, we will have all kinds of activities and games. Other than jumping into rivers, going fishing, going mini jungle expeditions, climbing trees, etc, we will also play all sorts of 'kampung' sports. We even had our very own 'Wembely stadium'. In this so called stadium, one can play various types of games and at times we end up breaking some windows of the houses nearby. But in this post, i will like to share about one unique game i used to play which now i see had progress. Its the 'pushing something with wheels game'.

When I was a small boy around the age of 3, my father made me a toy (a long stick with a wheel). I used to push it around the '
kampung'. When i was a little older, I used to love to push the wheelbarrow; and when there were any chores to do around the 'kampung' and it involved the wheelbarrow, I'll be so willing and excited to do it. Later my toy was my father's bicycle. Not able to cycle on it because of its size, I will push it around the 'kampung'. My parents, seeing that I love the bicycle, later bought me one and it was a mean to go for tuition classes.

I thought that was the end of my 'pushing something with wheels game'. But no! I had greater challenge. From just a toy to a little boys personal game, it became a favor for others! I am sure you too had the same experience having to push a motorcycle or a car to start. I have done that many times. But just a couple of days ago, I had a greater challenge! I was asked to push a bus! Serious Wei! A task to push the bus up a slope on a sharp bend is not easy and its not fun either, keeping in mind of the Malaysian 'kampung' heat. So together with the bus ticket conductor and some school boys we pushed the bus front, back, front, back many times to the laughter of the residents around, but the bus still could not be started. We were all giving up when the bus ticket conductor said "One final push". The word 'final' was indeed a motivation, and when we did it; the bus finally started!

Life's journey too can be the same. We need to 'push' and 'be pushed' especially when stopped along the journey, having not reach the destination. At times we can push it alone, and at times we need the help of others especially when the challenge is greater; we need to hear them saying 'OK, one final push'! And at times this phrase needs to be repeated.


This bus incident has a message for me. I was brought to mind of it while reflecting on the life of a very great man, a man whom i admire very much. He is
St. John Mary Vianney, Patron for Parish Priest. He had to overcome tremendous difficulties to be finally ordained. All of us have a purpose in life, and at times we have to go through difficulties and challenges to accomplish our purpose.

St. John Mary Vianney...Pray for us.