Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Solemnity of the Birth of St. John the Baptist (The Lord called me before I was born).



The Lord called me before I was born, while I was in my mother's womb He named me (Is.49:1).

How encouraging it must have been to know that you are were called before you were even born, or to hear from your mother that you leapt for joy in her womb when your mission was announced!

Indeed, John's birth is very unique. Like John each one of us has been called and given a part to play. To each one of us, God says the same words He addressed to John and to all great saints: "You are My servant...in whom I will be glorified" (Is.49:3).

John understood this truth. He came to it by spending much time in prayer in the dessert, through which he began to take on the heart of God. We pray that we may understand and accept God's will for us. "Thy will be done".

As a people called by God for a specific purpose, we pray...