Friday, September 28, 2007

25th Week in Ordinary Time, Year I: Friday

My reflection for the readings of the 25th Week in Ordinary Time, Year I: Friday
Haggai 1:15 – 2:9 /
Luke 9:18-22

I feel today’s readings are very affirmative. Once again we see the phrase so often used by God to tell us that He loves us. It is not a phrase of I love you, but “Do not be afraid”. I think for me, this is the most touching phrase and the most used by God that I find in the scriptures to tell us that He is with us, that He loves us. We can find this phrase from the book of Genesis right up to the book of Revelation; if it is not directly said, it can still be found in different expression but always the same meaning of “Do not be afraid”!

Why is this phrase so many in scriptures? Why we need to hear this “Do not be afraid” so often? It is because we are fragile humans. We need affirmations and assurance. It is a reminder that we need to constantly put our trust in the Lord. In the 1st reading where we find this phrase, the Lord seems to motivate the people to work, to rebuild the temple and their lives. He encourages and assures them of His presence and His decisions, for at the end of each sentences we read “It is the Lord of hosts who speaks”. Yes, the Lord speaks when we need to hear Him. In the 1st reading, we find that the people needed to hear God and rightfully he spoke to them, to build them up, to encourage them.

In the Gospel today, we are now asked to speak. We are asked to answer a very important question; “Who do you say I am?” Yes, this question was directed to the disciples but Jesus is asking each one of us the same.

I remember during my recent 30 days retreat, I was to reply to this question. At the beginning of my retreat, I was with lots of questions, confused and carrying life’s crosses, I was asked to answer this question of “Who is Christ in my life?”, in these situations. Then in the mid of my retreat, I asked the same questions. At the end of my retreat, I asked the same question again. I notice a growth of faith, a clear understanding of who Christ is in my life, a development of God-experience in my life, when answering these questions during the retreat. In these reflections, Jesus is always telling me; “Do not be afraid”. Through today’s gospel I am reminded to always ask in moments of desolation and consolation this question of “Who Christ is in my life”! A Fundamental question of checking my faith and motivation. It also to remind me to constantly put my trust in the Lord and to have assurance that He is with me and I do not have to be afraid.

Christ through the gospel has already told me that just like Him, I too will have to face rejection especially from the ‘big-shots’. Notice in the gospel today Jesus saying; “The Son of Man is destined to suffer grievously, to be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes and to be put to death…” There are many ‘big-shots’ in our lives today, elders, chief priests and scribes, those hypocrites who do not practice what they preach, who do not admit to their mistakes, they will reject us, they will put us to ‘death’, but we will ‘rise’. If we are Alter Christus, (Another Christ), like Him we will rise again. We just have to put our trust in him and do His will.

So friends, in moments of desolation and consolation asked the question “Who is Christ in my life?” Feel his love; feel his assurance and you will sure hear the words of “Do not be afraid, for I am with you!