Friday, April 13, 2007

I have seen the Lord


Reflection on the Readings of Easter Friday.
(Acts. 4:1-12 / Ps. 117 (118) / John 21:1-14)

I received about 35 SMSes wishing me a Happy Easter. In my reply to them, i wrote; The Lord is risen indeed! I have seen Him! Hope you have seen Him too and is with Him right now!!

I received only 2 SMSes from this reply asking me for further clarification on my statement. So i explained; it is very clear to see the risen Lord when our life is changed, anew, ( after our passover from sin to new life). If i have seen changes in my life for the better after all the Lenten observances i made, i am seeing the Risen Christ, and yes, He is with me. Christ is risen from death, I have risen from my sinfulness.

It is a challenge for us to live the Easter Life (Risen Life) now. We tend to go back to our old ways, the way we were living before. In today's gospel, we hear of the disciples going back fishing (their old way) and again they encounter the Risen Lord. Interesting to note, in most of the resurrection encounters with the disciples, Jesus appears to them when they 'go back to normal life' (Mary Magdalene who came to anoint the body, disciples on the way to Emmaus, disciples at closed doors-afraid).
Our God never gives up on us, even after denying him, falling to sin repeatedly and going back to old ways, he still come to us with love. He comes to pick us up again and restore us. He raises us to dignity again. This is what He did to the disciples in the gospel today. And all we have to do is to acknowledge like the disciple Jesus loved; "It is the Lord". Acknowledge that He is your Lord, King and Center of your hearts.

I am sure after receiving the assurance and restoration from Christ, we will never go back to our old ways again. We can see this taking place in the life of Peter who was once a denier and a coward now boldly and zealously proclaiming the resurrection of Jesus as we see in the 1st reading. I am sure we can easily identify ourselves with Peter, and the challenge is; to proclaim Christ.

"...then I am glad to tell you all, and would indeed be glad to tell the whole people that.....(Acts 4) God's love has no end!!!!" (Ps.117).