Tuesday, October 31, 2006

How My Parish Community Helped Me In My Discernment

The short passage of today’s gospel (Luke 18:18-21) reminds me of an article I wrote for Herald, The Catholic Weekly. It was during my Initiation Year (1st year) in the seminary. The article was publish on May 6th 2001 – Vocation Sunday. The article goes this way:-

How my parish community helped me in my discernment

“It is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in the garden;
it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its
branches.” (Luke 13:19)

When I was asked to write an article on how the parish has helped me discern my call to the priesthood, I was reminded of the passage above. Truly, vocation is a life. Vocation – a seed planted in me was not only nurtured by my beloved family, but also by my loving and caring parishioners and priests of the Church of the Visitation, Seremban.

I am very thankful to them, especially my priests, because after hearing about my desire to become a priest, they supported and encouraged me. They started to journey with me to give me a better understanding of the priesthood. They showed me, not through words only but also through actions. Examples of such actions are; taking me on their pastoral duties around the BEC’s and estates, getting me involved in church activities and hospital visits.

As for my parishioners, they too, were a source of encouragement for me. The many prayers offered and the kind words of support truly made me feel confident in this decision of becoming a priest. Even when I went back for my holidays, they assured me of their constant prayers.

My journey thus far has only begun, and the constant support and prayers of family, priests and parishioners will definitely help me to become like a mustard tree where birds will come and take shelter in it. I pray and hope that all parishes will be a source of inspiration and encouragement for many other young people called to serve in the Lord’s vineyard.